What does the Weed and Pest Management Policy include?

The policy supports the City's commitment to the responsible use of pesticides, and the reduction of their use.

It outlines the City's approach to ensuring that the City meets its environmental, legal and community obligations for weed and pest management on land owned and or managed by the City. 

It also outlines how the City will achieve its obligations in a manner that is environmentally, socially and economically acceptable to Council.

The policy also refers to the City's Pesticide Use Notification Plan and Pesticide Notification Register.

The policy is available to download in the Document Library or at the following link.

What is the Pesticide Use Notification Plan and how was it developed?

The development of a Pesticide Use Notification Plan is recommended by the WA Department of Health. They are also mandatory for local government authorities in NSW and outline how and when residents will be notified of planned spraying. 

The City's plan was developed after extensive local and national research and is based on the provisions used by New South Wales local governments.

Why is weed and pest management important?

Weed and pest control is an important service provided to the community. The invasion of weeds and pests in our conservation reserves threatens biodiversity and affects the community use and amenity of our public spaces. 

Please see the images in our Photo Gallery, which show some of the common weeds requiring management throughout the City. 

How will residents be notified of planned pesticide and herbicide use?

Residents will be notified of scheduled spraying according to best practice as outlined by the Health Pesticide Regulations 2011. 

Please refer to the Pesticide Use Notification Plan for more information about  how and when the City provides notice of planned spraying. This includes information about the Park Pesticide Notification List, which enables residents to register for notification when a nearby park or reserve (managed by the City) is to be sprayed using a pesticide.

Residents / ratepayers can contact the City on (08) 9205 8555 or by emailing stirling@stirling.wa.gov.au to register to the Park Pesticide Notification List.

What is the No Spray Verge List?

The City maintains a Pesticide Notification Register which includes a No Spray Verge List. This list allows residents / ratepayers to register an adjacent City verge to be left untreated with pesticides (in return for the resident/ owner maintaining the verge in a weed free condition).

Residents / ratepayers can contact the City on (08) 9205 8555 or by emailing stirling@stirling.wa.gov.au to register for the No Spray Verge List.

What is Integrated Pest Management (IPM)?

The City follows the principles of Integrated Pest Management (IPM). This means pesticides and herbicides are only used when all other feasible mechanical, cultural and biological options are explored including hand pulling, mechanical cutting, vacuuming, mulching, steam and organic herbicides. 

In addition, when pesticides are selected for use, they are applied in a safe and responsible manner to minimise the risk to public health, the environment and non-target organisms. 

Please see the Pesticide Reduction Program Fact Sheet for more information on IPM Principles.

What controls are commonly used to manage weeds and pests?

The City uses a wide range controls to manage weeds and pests. 

These include:


Including alternative designs and management processes making it harder for pests to establish and complete their life cycle.

Cultural controls

Includes modifying a pest’s habitat to make it harder for them to complete their life cycle.

Physical and mechanical controls

Including mowing, steam, hand pulling and vacuuming.

Biological control

Introducing natural enemies of pests so they will be controlled, and may include conserving habitat for natural enemies. Also includes use of biological sprays.

Chemical control

Including herbicides, fungicides and pesticides.

What is the steam treatment trial?

The City of Stirling is committed to pesticide reduction and uses a range of alternative control measures including steam, hand pulling, mechanical cutting, vacuuming, mulching and organic herbicides.

For example, The City has applied steam to control weeds in hard infrastructure, including kerb lines and footpaths since 2014. A total of 15 busy precincts have been prioritised including the Scarborough foreshore, Beaufort Street, Mirrabooka shopping areas and the Stirling City Centre.

The steam treatment weeds program has now been extended in 2018/19 to include road reserves adjacent to sensitive sites including aged care facilities, schools, child care centres and hospitals.

Please view our Pesticide Reduction Program Fact Sheet in the document library for more details. 

Does the City use Glyphosate (Round Up)?

The City uses Glyphosate, but only when all other feasible options have been explored, as per the principles of Integrated Pest Management (IPM).

The City always ensures pesticides, including Glyphosate, are applied in accordance with label directions/and or provisions of a minor use permit issued by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA). Pesticides are also applied in accordance with the Health (Pesticides) Regulations 2011 from the WA Department of Health.

The use of pesticides, including Glyphosate, is determined by two government agencies: the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (AVPMA) and the Western Australian Department of Health. 

The APVMA regularly reviews international and national evidence to determine the status of pesticide registrations in Australia. All products registered for use in Australia have been through a robust chemical risk assessment process and are safe to use, provided they are used in accordance with the label instructions. 

Please refer to the Glyphosate Infosheet produced by the Western Australian Local Government Association for more information. 

Where can I go to learn more about pesticide use and best practice?

Please refer to our Important Links for some additional sources of information.